Monday, December 1, 2014

Auto to Manual conversion

I've wanted to convert my Gen 2 Liberty to manual for as long as i've owned it and i've had this white Gen 2 manual sitting in the yard for over a year so i made the decision to start stripping it.

The doner car's gearbox has a bearing noise when the clutch is released which is not related to the throughout bearing and there is also bearing hardener casing in the oil so I'll have to pull the gearbox down.


























I got a price for a bearing kit for $1000 or a rebuilt box for $1800 so I'm hoping when I inspect the bearings in mine I will only have to replace one bearing which would be the cheaper solution and a great learning experience. 


3/12/2014

Yesterday i split open the gearbox and started looking for the noisy bearing, Sorry i could not get any more photos as it's a all hands on sort of job.

 Pulling the main shaft down to get to the bearing, you can see how bad the bearing is towards the end of the video.


Got the bearing pressed off and you can really see the damage now! 




$80 from the local bearing supply or $200 from Subaru...



I got the new bearing..



I found this spring and ball bearing shortly after splitting the case, I'm not sure if they were already out or came out when i split the case but i'm pretty sure they are # 19 & 20 in the service manual below





No comments:

Post a Comment