Saturday, December 20, 2014

JDM Climate control hacking Part 2


I received the LCD and have been coding like crazy! and i now have a working prototype :D 



As you can see i've gotten the basic menu system and some back end stuff working like switching relays for the fan speeds. 

I have a nice default display that shows the time, inside and outside temperatures. I don't think i showed it in the video but if nothing is pressed for a few seconds it will default back to this screen.

RGB LEDS

I've decided to change the way i control the RGB Leds, at this time i'm using IR and an off the shelf controller to control the Leds but I want to control them directly from the arduino which will give me more control and be more reliable, the only down side is i will use 2 more I/O's per group but thats ok as i am now using the Arduino MEGA2560 which has ample I/O's.

Keypad

The keypad originally had two flat flex, One to run the lights and LCD and the other for the buttons

I ditched the light & LCD flat flex and just kept the buttons as Subaru have already made it super simple to interface the buttons to an Arduino.

The buttons are laid out in what is known as a button matrix or keypad matrix, This ensures that the design and manufacturing process is incredibly simple and also uses less I/O's than each button having it's individual I/O.

I don't want to go into details about how Keypad matrix work, thats why we have google :)


I'm still waiting on some components:
  • Precise RTC (My current one is loosing a few seconds per day)
  • Transistors
  • Relays
  • Temperature sensors
  • Regulators

21/12/2014

More LED MADNESS!




I could of bought something that would be easier to install but i have tons of the RGB strips left!



I only needed one RGB LED so i removed the remaining two from the segments.

Because the power passes through the led i had to jumper across the pins for the single LED to work.




I insulated and folded the rest of the flex over itself to make some compact units




A bit of hot snot to hold it all together





  And the wiring was easy enough



You might notice that i didn't populate one of the light holes, this is because the up and down buttons are Red & Blue and don't react nicely to any one color so i am going to put a white led in this one.


More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment